Yamato to start chilled delivery service from Japan to Thailand

BANGKOK, NNA - Yamato Transport Co., Japan's leading door-to-door parcel delivery provider, will launch a service this month to deliver from Japan to Thailand chilled and frozen products, to capitalize on growing demand for Japanese farm and marine products and other goods.

The new service, International COOL TA-Q-BIN, will begin operating April 17, making Thailand the fifth Asian market for the temperature-controlled delivery service after Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia.

The new service will handle frozen foods, fruits, medicines, confectionery and cosmetics, among other products.

It follows the launch in January of a small parcel delivery service called SCG Express in Thailand by a joint venture, SCG Yamato Express Co., with Siam Cement Group Public Co., a local industrial conglomerate.

SCG Yamato Express, in which SCG Cement-Building Materials Co., SCG's subsidiary, holds a 65 percent stake and Yamato Asia Pte. Ltd. the remaining 35 percent, began cool delivery service within Thailand in March.

Nithi Patarachoke, a SCG Cement-Building vice president, estimates Thailand's cool parcel delivery market at about 1.3 billion baht ($37 million) per year.

Nithi expressed hope that SCG Yamato Express will also offer Yamato's traditional services such as luggage delivery for tourists and businesspeople and food delivery for the aging population in Thailand.

Although SCG Express service is available in only four provinces -- Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan -- the company plans to cover the entire country next year in an effort to achieve an annual revenue target of more than 1 billion baht in five years.

Thailand's small parcel delivery market has been growing 10 to 20 percent annually in the last several years to reach more than 20 billion baht due in part to rapidly expanding e-commerce businesses valued at 70 billion baht. (NNA/Kyodo)

NNA Asia headlines

  • AmCham survey: 75% of U.S. firms in China see drag from higher tariffs, 40% consider moving factories out
  • Panasonic, Japanese mobile carriers suspend dealings with China’s Huawei, following U.S. ban: press reports
  • Japanese telecom KDDI and trading house Sumitomo jointly enter Myanmar mobile gaming market
  • Toyobo taking over rival Teijin’s polyester film units for auto electric parts in Japan and Indonesia for 10 billion yen ($91 million)
  • Nissan picks Taiwan’s Delta Electronics to supply chargers for its Leaf electric car in Thailand
  • Textile dye maker Komatsu Matere of Japan to open high-end and functional fabric plant in China’s Haian City in 2021

NNA VIDEO